Podcast: Celestial Harmonies

HILDEGARD VON BINGEN: Celestial Harmonies - Responsories and Antiphons album coverHildegard von Bingen was a 12th century nun, composer, poet, mystic, scientist, linguist and naturalist.

This podcast is a brief introduction to her life and music.

Album details…
Catalogue No.: Naxos 8.557983

Play

7 Comments

• David says:

Excellent podcast Raymond!

• Vince says:

Beautiful music! Nice job on the voicing and mixing (and content)!

• Raymond says:

Thanks for your comments, it’s hard to go wrong with a life as interesting as Hildegard von Bingen’s. One could create a major documentary about any of her interests … composing, writing and poetry, naturalist and scientist. This podcast only touches the surface.

• Arun Dias Bandaranaike says:

Enjoyed the podcast. I am convinced that I cannot recommend the ‘religious’ life chosen by Hildegard VB: however, I shall have to admit that she was possessed of some mind and spirit to be as vitally interested as she seems to have been and for so long. Where does one find out more about this lady? [silly question- I guess there must be some encyclopaedic reference somewhere, considering her being recognized by the RC orthodoxy with a beatification.]
    Raymond, I DO enjoy your podcasts. I have been for years a radio host myself, presenting classical music and modern jazz here in Sri Lanka for the State Radio Station; and I do enjoy your commentary, as it is just as I would want to do to enthuse my audience to take music for what it is, and not what it is assumed to be!

• Raymond says:

Arun,

Thanks so much for your comment.

You are quite right about the religious life as chosen by Hildegard, I think it would take a very special kind of person to follow that path. If you want to know more about Hildegard, the entry in Wikipedia is not bad, and includes a list of further references. Among them is a further link to the International Society for Hildegard von Bingen Studies.

I am very interested to hear about your radio work in Sri Lanka, and would love to hear more about it sometime.
    Raymond

• zaxl says:

Raymond,

Great podcast! I must add, as usually.

This one is specially touching, many thanks.

I would like to suggest you to add the Naxos CD number to the podcast’s comments, it will help me to locate the CD’s in my local store.

thanks again,

• Raymond says:

Thanks for your comment, and for the suggestion we include the CD number in the comments. A great idea. We will begin adding that as information as quickly as possible.

Raymond